Most parents would like their children to grow up to be healthy, happy individuals who show respect and consideration for others. However, many good character qualities cannot be taught, they need to be experienced, which is why positive role models are extremely important.
When a child follows the example of any adult, they will pick up habits and perspectives that could last a lifetime.
Related Article: How Do Positive Role Models Affect Our Youth and Communities?
What Is a Role Model?
A role model is a person whose behavior is imitated by other people. There are role models who engage in positive and constructive actions and there are those who have bad habits that can be transferred to anyone who admires that person. Some people lead such negative and destructive lives that they are examples of what not to do.
Children who have good, strong role models to follow have a better chance of developing a positive lifestyle. While everyone may have a different definition of what a good role model is, here are a few with which most people agree.
Four Characteristics of a Good Role Model
A good role model is not a fanatic. He or she will always try to make good decisions about lifestyle choices such as food, exercise, reading, making conversation and other things that children should learn. The child will notice the positive attitude and get the message that making an effort is more important than perfection.
The adult should show respect to others, whether it is in the grocery store or the boardroom. One of the first things children learn is how to talk to others. If they see the adults who are close to them treat others in a demeaning way, children will automatically do the same. It is not enough to tell children that it is important to respect others. They need to see how it is done.
Most adults have many interests, and it is important to show children that curiosity can be a good thing. Life-long learning means to be interested in many aspects of life, whether it is music, outdoor sports, current events or plumbing. When children see that their parents show interest and sometimes proficiency in many things, they get the courage to get out of their comfort zone and explore other activities.
Exercise is extremely important for children’s’ health and proper development. A good role model should actively engage their child in some form of activity every day. Children do not need to play vigorous sports to be healthy, but at least a daily walk or game of tag is required. Being a couch potato is not considered a good role for any adult or child.
Related Article: Exercise Ideas to Support Kids with Autism and ADHD
Role models are not superhuman, but they have a powerful impact on the young children who are watching their every move. Positive actions by role models create positive habits in children that cannot be learned in the classroom.
This is post is sponsored by the Landon School. Sponsored posts allow us to bring you free continuous content!
- 12 Pros and Cons of Online Learning for Students
- 6 Tips to Teach a Child Self-Discipline
- Four Beneficial Ways Physical Activity Affects Child Development
- Social-Emotional Sign Language Curriculum Can Benefit All Children
- Find Out Why Education and Behavior, a Free Online Research-Based Library, is a Critical Resource for Your District, School, or Agency Webpage!
Top Posts & Pages
- Top 5 Reasons Why Physical Education is As Important As Schoolwork
- 10 Great Educational Songs for Kids: 1st to 3rd Grade
- Los 10 Tips Más Usados para Niños con Trastorno Negativista Desafiante
- 5 Great Activities to Do with Your Social Skills Group
- 11 Research-Based Spelling Strategies Parents Can Try at Home
- The Importance of Positive Role Models for Children
- What Does the Research Say About the Impact of Homeschooling on Academics and Social Skills?
- 5 Great Activities to Do with Your Social Skills Group (Adolescents/Teens)
- 10 Simple Ways to Improve Children's Behavior (Home and School)
- Top 10 Discipline Tips for Kids with Oppositional Defiant Disorder