Most parents would like their children to grow up to be healthy, happy individuals who show respect and consideration for others. However, many good character qualities cannot be taught, they need to be experienced, which is why positive role models are extremely important.
When a child follows the example of an adult, they will pick up habits and perspectives that could last a lifetime.
Related Article: How Do Positive Role Models Affect Our Youth and Communities?
What Is a Role Model?
A role model is a person whose behavior is imitated by other people. There are role models who engage in positive and constructive actions and there are those who have bad habits that can be transferred to anyone who admires that person. Some people lead such negative and destructive lives that they are examples of what not to do.
Children who have good, strong role models to follow have a better chance of developing a positive lifestyle. While everyone may have a different definition of what a good role model is, here are a few with which most people agree.
Four Characteristics of a Good Role Model
1. A good role model will always try to make good decisions about lifestyle choices such as food, exercise, reading, making conversation, and other things that children should learn. The child will notice the positive attitude and get the message that making an effort is more important than perfection.
2. A positive role model shows respect to others, regardless of where they are. One of the first things children learn is how to talk to others. If they see the adults who are close to them treat others in a demeaning way, children will likely do the same. It is not enough to tell children that it is important to respect others. They need to see how it is done.
3. Many adults have several interests, and it is important for role models to show children that curiosity can be a good thing. Life-long learning means to be interested in many aspects of life, whether it is music, outdoor sports, current events or plumbing.
When children see that their parents show interest and sometimes proficiency in many things, they get the courage to get out of their comfort zone and explore other activities.
4. Exercise is extremely important for children’s health and proper development. A good role model might actively engage their child in some form of activity every day. Children do not need to play vigorous sports to be healthy, but at least a daily walk or game of tag is required.
Conclusions About Role Models
Role models have a powerful impact on the youth that are watching them. Positive actions by role models create positive habits in children that can last a lifetime and transcend generations. How are you a positive role model today?
Top Posts & Pages
- Top 5 Reasons Why Physical Education is As Important As Schoolwork
- Try These Top 10 Behavior Strategies for Children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Use These 10 Simple Strategies to Improve Children's Behavior Today (Home/School)
- Parents Can Try Any of These 11 Strategies to Help a Child Struggling with Spelling
- Try Any of These 11 Fun Activities to Teach Your Child to Write
- Check Out These 10 Great Educational Songs for Young Kids!
- Here Are Four Characteristics of a Positive Role Model
- Try These 5 Great Activities with Your Social Skills Group
- What Does the Research Say About the Impact of Homeschooling on Academics and Social Skills?
- Try These 14 Strategies to Help Children with ADHD Improve Focus and Behavior