For most of your life, when you talked about printers you talked about the kind of printers we all know: They print (in color or black and white) on paper, and sometimes have multiple, helpful functions such as faxing and scanning.
And for a long time, that was it—the cream of the crop and a diverse cream at that. But there’s a new piece of technology that’s radically changing not only printing but education and manufacturing, too: 3D printers.
What Are 3D Printers Used For?
3D printers are used in a range of professions, from medicine (for prosthetic limbs) to airplane manufacturing (for parts). They have a host of benefits such as less waste and reduced pollution and packaging. And for educators, they hold a lot of potential to lend assistance to a valued topic area, the field known as STEM or science, technology, engineering, and math.
As an example, students can use 3D printers to recreate an artifact or fossil; design, build, and test bridges; make matching letter tiles, and make maps.
3D printers are especially useful in the application of hands-on learning which is much more engaging for many learners than the traditional “sit and listen” type of learning. Making objects with 3D printers allows students to imagine, design, create, problem-solve, touch, etc.
10 Ideas for 3D Printer Projects
The graphic below gives ideas for exciting 3D printing projects for elementary school students; however, 3D printers can be utilized to enhance education at all levels (preschooler-to adult). Teachers can also create objects to show students hands-on and visual representations of concepts.
Video Presentation on 3D Printing
What would you like to make if you had a 3D printer? Comment below!
Thank you for visiting educationandbehavior.com. We are a free resource for parents, caregivers, educators, and counselors. We provide academic, behavior, and social-emotional support for all children.
Affordable 3D Printers
Industrial Grade 3D Printers
Massage Can Help with Sensory Needs and Anxiety
Top Posts & Pages
- 12 Pros and Cons of Online Learning for Students
- Top 5 Reasons Why Physical Education is As Important As Schoolwork
- Los 10 Tips Más Usados para Niños con Trastorno Negativista Desafiante
- Parents Can Try Any of These 11 Strategies to Help a Child Struggling with Spelling
- Try These 5 Great Activities With Your Social Skills Group (Adolescents/Teens)
- Try These Top 10 Behavior Strategies for Children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Here Are Four Characteristics of a Positive Role Model
- Try Any of These 11 Fun Activities to Teach Your Child to Write
- Use These 10 Simple Strategies to Improve Children's Behavior Today (Home/School)
- Check Out These 10 Great Educational Songs for Young Kids!