Read Naturally is meant to be used as a supplement to your child’s reading curriculum. It aims to improve reading fluency, accuracy, and comprehension of students in elementary school through adulthood. Research studies on Read Naturally indicate that students who progress through the program make significant gains in reading comprehension and oral reading fluency.
- modeling of story reading (students listen to, and read along with, a recording of a fluent reader reading a story to help students model correct pronunciation, rate, and expression)
- repeated reading of text for developing oral reading fluency (students engage in 1-minute practice readings to build their mastery of the passage)
Once students feel they can achieve their reading speed goal, they alert the teacher. The teacher then conducts a “pass timing” during which students are evaluated against four criteria:
(1) student reaches goal rate
(2) student makes three or fewer errors
(3) passage is read with appropriate phrasing
(4) comprehension questions are answered correctly.
If students do not meet these criteria, they spend additional time practicing the reading of the passage, and then the teacher conducts the “pass timing” again.
- systematic monitoring of student progress (students graph their scores to track their progress from the initial reading to the final reading of each story. The graphs also show students’ progress over successive stories. The purpose of theses tools is to ensure teacher and student awareness of each student’s progress).
Read Naturally starts students at their current reading level. Students progress through the program at their own rate, and work independently for the most part.
The program can be delivered in two ways:
(2) students use the web-based version (Read Naturally® Live). This intervention report includes studies of Read Naturally® Masters Edition and Read Naturally® Software Edition. Read Naturally Live also offers a free 60 day trial.
For more research see New findings on Read Naturally Live.
Read Naturally Overview
Education and Behavior – A Site for Parents, Educators, and Counselors to come together on what works for kids!
You May Also Like:
Top Posts & Pages
- Top 5 Reasons Why Physical Education is As Important As Schoolwork
- Parents Can Try Any of These 11 Strategies to Help a Child Struggling with Spelling
- Use These 10 Simple Strategies to Improve Children's Behavior Today (Home/School)
- Try These Top 10 Behavior Strategies for Children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Try These 14 Strategies to Help Children with ADHD Improve Focus and Behavior
- Check Out These 10 Great Educational Songs for Young Kids!
- Try Any of These 11 Fun Activities to Teach Your Child to Write
- What Does the Research Say About the Impact of Homeschooling on Academics and Social Skills?
- Try These 5 Great Activities with Your Social Skills Group
- Here Are Four Characteristics of a Positive Role Model