Research demonstrates the benefits of teaching children through a variety of senses (multi-sensory/hands-on learning), which allows children to absorb information through sight, sounds, movement, and touch! In multi-sensory learning, children are active and doing something rather than just sitting passively trying to remember what their teacher is teaching them. “If I can do it, I can understand it.”
I like browsing the internet to see what educational websites are out there, and I recently came across Discount School Supply, which offers an abundance of hands-on and multi-sensory products! I also love all their options for classroom arrangement and organization such as furniture that can also be used for storage, and rugs for story or circle time.
Discount School Supply offers over 5,000 early educational products, appropriate for children in Preschool to grade 7, from over 25 different categories. Many of their products are also beneficial for students with special needs! They offer free shipping and even have a free blog with dozens of ideas for hands-on learning!
These categories include:
- Arts & Crafts
- Dramatic Play
- Active Play
- Infant & Toddler
- Furniture, Storage & Equipment,
- Outdoor Learning
Here are some of the products offered by Discount School Supply that I absolutely love due to their ability to allow children to be active in their learning (touching, seeing, doing)!
Massage Can Help with Sensory Needs and Anxiety
Top Posts & Pages
- 12 Pros and Cons of Online Learning for Students
- 5 Short "Must-Watch" Motivational Videos for Teachers
- Los 10 Tips Más Usados para Niños con Trastorno Negativista Desafiante
- Try Any of These 11 Fun Activities to Teach Your Child to Write
- Parents Can Try Any of These 11 Strategies to Help a Child Struggling with Spelling
- Try These Top 10 Behavior Strategies for Children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Here Are Four Characteristics of a Positive Role Model
- What Does the Research Say About the Impact of Homeschooling on Academics and Social Skills?
- Use These 10 Simple Strategies to Improve Children's Behavior Today (Home/School)
- Top 5 Reasons Why Physical Education is As Important As Schoolwork
Rachel Wise is a certified school psychologist and licensed behavior specialist with a Master’s Degree in Education. She is also the head author and CEO at educationandbehavior.com, a site for parents, caregivers, educators, counselors, and therapists to find effective, research-based strategies that work for children. Rachel has been working with individuals with academic and behavioral needs for over 20 years and has a passion for making a positive difference in the lives of children and the adults who support them. For Rachel’s top behavioral strategies all in one place, check out her book, Building Confidence and Improving Behavior in Children, a Guide for Parents and Teachers. If you want Rachel to write for your business, offer behavioral or academic consultation, or speak at your facility about research-based strategies that support children, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.