Research demonstrates the benefits of teaching children through a variety of senses (multi-sensory/hands-on learning), which allows children to absorb information through sight, sounds, movement, and touch! In multi-sensory learning, children are active and doing something rather than just sitting passively trying to remember what their teacher is teaching them. “If I can do it, I can understand it.”
I like browsing the internet to see what educational websites are out there, and I recently came across Discount School Supply, which offers an abundance of hands-on and multi-sensory products! I also love all their options for classroom arrangement and organization such as furniture that can also be used for storage, and rugs for story or circle time.
Discount School Supply offers over 5,000 early educational products, appropriate for children in Preschool to grade 7, from over 25 different categories. Many of their products are also beneficial for students with special needs! They offer free shipping and even have a free blog with dozens of ideas for hands-on learning!
These categories include:
- Arts & Crafts
- Dramatic Play
- Active Play
- Infant & Toddler
- Furniture, Storage & Equipment,
- Outdoor Learning
Here are some of the products offered by Discount School Supply that I absolutely love due to their ability to allow children to be active in their learning (touching, seeing, doing)!
- Mini Visual Schedules for Busy Families
- A Poem for Parents (And Their Kids) Be A Hero
- Hands-on Learning Materials (and Ideas) for Elementary Math Skills (Counting, Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Time & Money)
- Hands-on Learning Materials (and Ideas) for Reading Readiness and Basic Reading Skills (Phonics, Decoding and Sight Word Recognition)
- Strategies for Parents to Help Their Child with Separation Anxiety
Top Posts & Pages
- Top 5 Reasons Why Physical Education is As Important As Schoolwork
- 5 Great Activities to Do with Your Social Skills Group
- 5 Great Activities to Do with Your Social Skills Group (Adolescents/Teens)
- How to Set Up the Classroom for Students with Autism and ADHD
- 10 Simple Ways to Improve Children's Behavior (Home and School)
- Los 10 Tips Más Usados para Niños con Trastorno Negativista Desafiante
- How To Use Schedules to Improve Children's Behavior
- 10 Ten Discipline Tips for Kids with Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- The Importance of Positive Role Models for Children
- How Do Positive Role Models Affect Our Youth and Communities?
Rachel Wise is a certified school psychologist and licensed behavior specialist with a Master’s Degree in Education. She is also the head author and CEO at educationandbehavior.com, a site for parents, educators, and counselors to find effective, research-based strategies that work for children. Rachel has been working with individuals with academic and behavioral needs for over 20 years and has a passion for making a positive difference in the lives of children and the adults who support them. For Rachel’s top behavioral strategies all in one place, check out her book, Building Confidence and Improving Behavior in Children, a Guide for Parents and Teachers.